Edo governor, Godwin Obaseki
As Edo State will get able to elect a brand new governor this weekend, PREMIUM TIMES highlights 30 notable issues it is advisable know concerning the state situated within the oil-rich South-south area of Nigeria, the sixth most populated nation on this planet.
1. Edo State was a part of the defunct Bendel State till 1991.
2. Edo State got here into existence after Delta State was created out of the then Bendel State on August 27, 1991.
three. Its capital, Benin Metropolis, was additionally the capital of the defunct Mid-Western Area, which was excised from the defunct Western Area in 1963, renamed Midwestern State in 1967 and additional renamed Bendel State in 1976.
four. Bendel was derived from the previous Benin and Delta provinces.
5. The identify of the Authorities Home in Benin is Dennis Osadebay Home.
6. Mr Osadebay was the primary and solely premier of the defunct Midwest Area therefore the Authorities Home was named after him. Mr Osadebay hailed from Asaba, the current capital of Delta State.
7. Edo State is without doubt one of the six states within the South-south geo-political zone.
eight. Edo has a complete inhabitants of four,235,595 based on the 2006 census.
9. Edo State has 18 Native Authorities Areas and 193 wards.
10. Edo State has a complete land space of 17,802 km2 (6,873 sq. ml).
11. Edo State is bounded within the south by Delta State, within the west by Ondo State and within the north and east by Kogi State.
12. Edo has an estimated voter inhabitants of two,210,534 however only one,726, 738 individuals collected PVCs to vote in Saturday’s governorship election.
13. Edo has 2,627 Polling Models.
14. Edo State makes use of the slogan “Heartbeat of the Nation.”
15. About 17 languages are spoken in Edo State. The most important ones are Bini, Ishan, Afemai and Ora.
16. Edo State, like different states within the nation, has three senatorial districts, particularly Edo South, Edo Central and Edo North. Whereas PDP gained the South and Central districts within the 2019 basic elections, the APC gained within the Northern district.
17. The Edo South has 7 LGAs, Central 5 LGAs and North 6 LGAs.
18. Edo South additionally contains primarily the Bini ethnic group. There are nevertheless some Ijaw, Itsekiri, Urhobo, Yoruba and Igbo (Igbanke) communities on this senatorial district.
19. Edo Central contains the Ishan (initially known as Esan) ethnic group.
20. Edo North has the Afemai (Etsako), Owan (Ora) and Akoko ethnic teams. There are some Igbira communities right here too.
21. Edo has 9 federal constituencies.
22. Upon the return of democracy in Nigeria in 1999, Edo State was ruled by Fortunate Igbinedion of the PDP. He was governor for 2 phrases between 1999 and 2007.
23. Mr Igbinedion was succeeded by Oserheimen Osunbor, a former senator and professor of Legislation in Could 2007 additionally on PDP ticket. He’s an Ishan from Edo Central.
24. Mr Osunbor was sacked by the Court docket in November 2008 and was succeeded by Adams Oshiomhole, an Afemai from Edo North on the ticket of the defunct Motion Congress (AC), which later turned ACN, and subsequently joined different opposition events to type APC.
25. Mr Oshiomhole was succeeded in 2016 by the incumbent, Godwin Obaseki, a Bini, from Edo South. He gained on the platform of the ruling APC.
26. Edo State had been beforehand ruled within the Third Republic by John Odigie-Oyegun, a retired everlasting secretary (January 1992 to November 1993). Mr Odigie-Oyegun, a Bini, later turned the nationwide chairman of the APC.
27. The 2 democratically-elected governors who beforehand dominated Edo State when it was a part of the defunct Bendel State had been late Ambrose Alli, a professor of Morbid Anatomy (Second Republic between October 1979 and December 1983) and late Samuel Ogbemudia, a retired brigadier basic (Second Republic between October and December 1983). Whereas Mr Alli was an Ishan from Ekpoma (although his mom was Yoruba from Ido-Ani in Ondo State), Mr Ogbemudia, additionally a former army governor of the defunct Midwestern State, was a Bini.
28. Edo State was dominated beforehand by 5 army governors (and directors) between 1991 and 1999.
29. There are 5 main greater establishments in Edo State, particularly the College of Benin, Ambrose Alli College, Ekpoma, Edo College, Iyamho, Federal Polytechnic, Auchi and Edo Polytechnic, Usen.
30. Edo State has produced some notable individuals, together with Augustus Aikhomu former vp beneath Ibrahim Babangida army administration and Mike Akhigbe, Chief of Common Workers beneath Abdulsalami Abubakar army regime.
There’s additionally Anthony Enahoro, a politician who first moved a movement in Western Home of Meeting for Nigeria’s independence in 1953; Michael Imoudu, a former labour chief; Benson Idahosa, frontline Pentecostal who based the Church of God Mission; Chris Oyakhilome of Christ Embassy, Raymond Dokpesi, proprietor of AIT; John Momoh, proprietor of Channels TV; Dele Giwa, founding Editor-in-Chief of Newswatch journal; Festus Iyayi, a former ASUU president and notable novelist, Sonny Okosun, a musician; Victor Uwaifo, a veteran musician.
Different distinguished indigenes of the state are Anthony Anenih, a frontline politician; Abel Guobadia, former INEC chairman; Augustine Eguavoen, former Tremendous Eagles coach; Odia Ofeimun, a novelist, quite a few ministers and ambassadors.
Supply: PREMIUM TIMES