Health Benefits of Licorice Candy
Licorice is a herb known for being naturally sweet and relieving. It is their sweet taste that makes it ideal for food, herbal medicine or even cigarette flavouring as well. And that’s not it, because licorice roots contain even more health properties than the herb itself! Anyway, back to the licorice herb, there are quite a lot of food items made out of it, starting from tea, syrups, to even candy. What are the health benefits of licorice candy?
What are its Health Benefits?
- Licorice Candy Relieves the Stomach
Licorice itself could help heal common stomach diseases such as stomach pain, ulcer, heartburn, and ignites the digestive tract ass constipation takes place. It all becomes possible thanks to glycyrrhizic acid.
- Licorice Candy for Respiratory Health
Licorice roots have anti-inflammatory properties that could liquify mucus inside the lungs and also clear clogged nasal passages, which makes it to be very useful for curing cough or symptoms of flu.
- Licorice Candy is Stress Relieving
Stress is caused by nonstop release of cortisol by the adrenal gland. Cortisol is otherwise known as the stress hormone, and licorice is able to regulate it. A regulated cortisol release will make the adrenal glands to take a break and prevent adrenal fatigue.
- Licorice Candy for Cancer Protection
Studies have indicated that licorice root could potentially help the treatment of both breast cancer and prostate cancer, just like in traditional Chinese medicine.
- Licorice Candy for Hair, Teeth and Skin
Licorice roots contain elements like choline, benefits of potassium, phosphorus, protein, vitamin B, and flavonoids for promoting a healthy scalp and prevent dandruff, hair loss, repair skin damage, as well as curing both eczema plus rashes. As for benefits of baking soda for teeth, licorice spice tea is useful because it prevents health benefits of xylitol for teeth decay and cavities.
- Licorice Candy for Heartburn
Heartburn or dyspepsia is a condition similar to gastric, characterized by the burning feeling that takes place in the mid-upper chest caused by external factors such as excessive spicy food, alcohol, or tight clothing. Licorice can improve heartburn more by 40% when compared to placebo.
- Licorice Candy and Its Other Health Benefits
And finally, licorice also offers health benefits to conditions such as;
- Symptoms of High Blood Pressure
- Addison Disease
- Muscle cramps
- Irritable Bowl Syndrome
Cautions & Recommendations
In general, licorice that is contained in food is safe for consumption, as long as one consumes it in controlled amounts. The same thing also goes for topical applications; one should never use it over an extended period of time. Long term or excessive usage of licorice may lead to several health threatening side effects, such as;
- Irregular Heartbeat
- Brain Damage
And also, young children, expecting mothers or breastfeeding mothers should avoid licorice at all costs.
How to Make Licorice Candy
- 1/2 cup of flour
- Licorice root powder
- Dried anise powder
- First, add molasses into a medium sauce pan. Heat it over medium heat for 5 to 10 minutes, as the molasses gets thoroughly warmed.
- Heat gently; do not allow it to boil or bubble.
- Add licorice root powder and dried anise powder into the molasses. Stir well.
- Add the flour into the molasses. Mix thoroughly.
- Continue adding flour, a few tablespoons at a time until it reaches a total of one cup. By then, a thick workable paste should have already formed.
- Remove the candy dough from the pan and place it on a cutting board. Shape the candies into several long tubes.
- Wait 1-2 hours for the candies to harden, and store it in a jar or container.
- Licorice candy is now ready to be eaten!
Those are the health benefits of licorice candy, which makes licorice to be enjoyable anytime and anywhere!