iOS 13.3 & iPadOS 13.3 Update Released for iPhone & iPad
Apple has released iOS 13.3 and iPadOS 13.3 for iPhone and iPad.
The new update includes bug fixes and enhancements, and also includes several new features in the new software update, including the ability to set communication limits through Screen Time.
The full release notes accompanying the downloads of iOS 13.3 and iPadOS 13.3 are included further below.
Separately, Apple has released MacOS Catalina 10.15.2, tvOS 13.3, and watchOS 6.1.1.
How to Download & Install iOS 13.3 or iPadOS 13.3 Update
Always backup the iPhone or iPad to iCloud, iTunes, or Mac, before installing any system software update. Failure to backup can lead to permanent data loss.
- Open the “Settings” app on iPhone or iPad
- Go to “General”, and then go to “Software Update”
- Choose “Download & Install” when the update for ‘iOS 13.3’ or ‘iPadOS 13.3’ shows as available to install on the device
The iPhone or iPad will reboot itself automatically to complete installation of the software update.
You can also update to iOS 13.3 and iPadOS 13.3 through a computer by connecting an iPhone or iPad to a Windows PC with iTunes, or a Mac with iTunes or MacOS Catalina.
Advanced iPhone and iPad users can also choose to use IPSW files to update system software, a process which also requires a computer. The links below point to the IPSW firmware files from Apple servers.
iOS 13.3 IPSW Direct Download Links
iPadOS 13.3 IPSW Direct Download Links
iOS 13.3 Release Notes / iPadOS 13.3 Release Notes
Release notes accompanying the download of iOS 13.3 are as follows (they’re mostly the same release notes as iPadOS 13.3):
iOS 13.3 includes improvements, bug fixes and additional parental controls for Screen Time.
– New parental controls provide more communication limits over who their children can call, FaceTime, or Message
– Contact list for children lets parents manage the contacts that appear on their children’s devices
– New layout for Apple News+ stories from The Wall Street Journal and other leading newspapers
– Easily like or dislike stories with a tap
– Stories from Apple News are now available in Canada in English and French
– Continue reading with links to related stories or more stories from the same publication
– “Breaking” and “Developing” labels for Top Stories
This update also includes bug fixes and other improvements. This update:
– Enables the creation of a new video clip when trimming a video in Photos
– Adds support for NFC, USB, and Lightning FIDO2-compliant security keys in Safari
– Fixes issues in Mail that may prevent downloading new messages
– Addresses an issue that prevented deleting messages in Gmail accounts
– Resolves issues that could cause incorrect characters to display in messages and duplication of sent messages in Exchange accounts
– Fixes an issue where the cursor may not move after long pressing on the space bar
– Addresses an issue that may cause screenshots to appear blurry when sent via Messages
– Resolves an issue where cropping or using Markup on screenshots may not save to Photos
– Fixes an issue where Voice Memos recordings may not be able to be shared with other audio apps
– Addresses an issue where the missed call badge on the Phone app may not clear
– Resolves an issue where the Cellular Data setting may incorrectly show as off
– Fixes an issue that prevented turning off Dark Mode when Smart Invert was enabled
– Addresses an issue where some wireless chargers may charge more slowly than expected
It’s generally a good idea to regularly install software updates on any iPhone or iPad that is compatible with the latest system software. This insures that bug fixes and security enhancements are included on the device, and sometimes updates can resolve other issues like battery draining or other erratic behavior.
Note that sometimes an iPhone or iPad with iPadOS 13 or iOS 13 may feel slow briefly after installing a software update, this is because the system software may rescan and reindex data on the device. Typically simply leaving the device plugged into a power source for a while is enough to remedy that if it occurs.
Additionally, Apple has also released software updates to other products, including MacOS Catalina 10.15.2 for Mac users, tvOS 13.3 for Apple TV, and watchOS 6.1.1 for Apple Watch.
Do you have any particular thoughts or experiences with iOS 13.3 and iPadOS 13.3? Share with us in the comments below!