Chris Smalling is expected to leave the Red Devils before the October 5 deadline, while Marcos Rojo could also move on, which would leave the 20-time English champions short of experienced options at the back.
A new central defender could therefore arrive at Old Trafford in the coming weeks, and according to France Football, United are weighing up an approach for Umtiti.
The France international has a contract at Camp Nou until the summer of 2023 but could allegedly be allowed to leave for free as the Catalan giants attempt to reduce their wage bill.
The 2018 World Cup winner has made 116 appearances for Barca in all competitions, but a number of injury problems restricted him to just 13 La Liga outings in 2019-20.
Umtiti has not played for his current club since the end of June due to a knee issue.
- Pep Guardiola Said He Could But Wouldn’t Complain About The West Ham Goal
- Alphonso Davies Faces A Spell On The Sidelines After Injuring His Ankle In Bayern Munich’s Clash With Eintracht FrankfurtAlphonso Davies Faces A Spell On The Sidelines After Injuring His Ankle In Bayern Munich’s Clash With Eintracht Frankfurt
- Manchester City Striker Sergio Aguero Sustained Another Injury
- Fans Greeted Messi At The Stadium Before El Clásico
- Ansu Fati Becomes The Youngest Scorer In Clasico History