Samsung is back with the 2020 generation of their popular Note series. The Samsung Galaxy Note 20 and Note 20 Ultra offers an annotating, drooling and a freehand note-taking experience that is second to none. They feature massive upgrade when compared to the previous generation and the traditional S-pen isn’t left out too. Here, we’ll be reviewing the specs, features and price of the Galaxy Note 20 series. And also discussing their similarities and differences along the line, so stay tuned.
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 20 and Note 20 Ultra Key Specs
- 2 Design and Display
- 3 Hardware and Software
- 4 Camera
- 5 Battery
- 6 Samsung Galaxy Note 20 and Note 20 Ultra Complete Specs
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 and Note 20 Ultra Key Specs
- 6.7″ (Note 20), 6.9″ (Note 20 Ultra) display
- 8/128GB (Note 20), 12/256GB & 12/512GB (Note 20 Ultra)
- Snapdragon 865+ chipset
- Octa-core 3.0 GHz processor
- 64MP triple cam (Note 20), 108MP triple cam (Note 20 Ultra)
- Android 10 (One UI 2.5)
- 4,300 mAh (Note 20), 4,500 mAh (Note 20 Ultra)
- 25W fast charging, 15W fast wireless charging
Design and Display
Samsung Galaxy S20 series has a mystic trio of body colours – the Mystic Bronze, Mystic White and Mystic Black. All three mystic hues have a beautiful metallic tone polished. In terms of weight, both phones are considerably heavy. The Galaxy Note 20 weighs 194 grams while the Note 20 Ultra weighs 208 grams. The 5G model of the Galaxy Note 20 Ultra weighs a lighter 194 grams for reasons unknown at this point. The new and upgraded S-pen is now very responsive. It can be used for navigation with five new actions. With the IP68 water and dust resistance, the smartphones are safe from drips, splashes and up 1.5 meters of water for around 30 minutes.
You can’t go any bigger here. The Galaxy Note 20 has a big 6.7″ screen size while the Note 20 Ultra has an even bigger 6.9″ screen size. The display of the Galaxy Note 20 Ultra stretches down to its edges. Embedded inside the display is an ultrasonic fingerprint reader.
The Dynamic AMOLED 2x 1440p display with 120Hz refresh rate on the Galaxy Note 20 Ultra is protected by the all-new Corning Gorilla Glass Victus which is arguably better at resisting scratches and is capable of surviving a 2 meters (6.5 ft) drop on a hard surface. While the Super AMOLED+ 1080p display of the Galaxy Note 20 is protected by Corning Gorilla Glass 5. Both displays feature HDR10+ and Always-on display.
Hardware and Software
The Samsung Galaxy Note 20 series is a multitasking computer suite that goes where ever you go. It is more than your average smartphone and its performance is possible thanks to the HyperFast 5G and Wi-Fi optimization. The Galaxy Note 20 series is powered by the Snapdragon 865+ chipset with 3.0 GHz Octa-core processor. European and Indian markets are stuck with the Exynos 990 chipset though. The Xbox Game Pass Ultimate is available on both Galaxy phones in selected markets and features over 100 games.
Software-wise, we have the One UI 2.5 custom skin on Android 10 OS. The UI is built for everyday simplicity and enables quick navigation through any given task. Inside the Galaxy phones is in-built security known as ‘Samsung Knox’ which protects you in real-time by offering end-to-end security in both hardware and software.
The Samsung Galaxy Note 20 series has everything you could ask from a camera to enable shoot and edit like a pro. The rear camera setup on the Note 20 Ultra features a 1080MP f/1.8 sensor which produces 12MP photos with binning, Laser AF, PDAF, OIS and records 8K resolution videos at 24fps. The second camera houses a 12MP f/3.0 periscope telephoto lens with 5x optical zoom and 50x hybrid zoom. And the final camera is a 12MP f/2.2 ultrawide angle lens with 120° Field of View.
The rear camera setup on the Note 20 also has three cameras but with some tweaks. It manages to retain the 12MP ultrawide angle cam, which is now joined with a 12MP f/1.8 main lens with OIS and Dual Pixel PDAF and a 64MP f/2.0 periscope telephoto lens with 3x optical zoom and 30x hybrid zoo. The selfie department sees both phones having the same 10MP f/2.2 camera with Dual Pixel PDAF and can record 4K videos at both 30 and 60 fps.
The Samsung Galaxy Note 20 and Note 20 Ultra packs an all-day intelligent battery. A full charge of the 4,300 mAh (Note 20) or 4,500 mAh (Note 20 Ultra) capacity can last you for a whole day. Both phones support the same 25W fast charging speed, 15W wireless charging and 9W reverse wireless charging.
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 and Note 20 Ultra Complete Specs
- Announced: August 2020
- Status: August 2020
Design [ Build Factor], Display and Colour Options
- Dimension: Height- 164.8mm * Width- 77.2mm * Thickness- 8.1mm
- Weight: 192g (Note 20), 208g (Note 20 Ultra)
- Build Quality: Corning Gorilla Glass (front and back), stainless frame.
- Screen Display Type: Super AMOLED+ (Note 20), Dynamic AMOLED 2x (Note 20 Ultra)
- Screen Size: 6.7″ (Note 20), 6.9″ (Note 20 Ultra)
- Resolution: 1080 x 2400 (Note 20), 1440 x 3088 (Note 20 Ultra)
- Aspect Ratio: 20:9
- Display Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass
- Notch: No
- Multi-touch screen: Yes
- Colour Options: Mystic Bronze, Mystic White, Mystic Black
Operating System and Memory
- Operating System: Android 10 (One UI 2.0)
- Chipset: Snapdragon 865+ chip
- CPU: Octa-core (1×3.0 GHz Kryo 585 & 3×2.42 GHz Kryo 585 & 4×1.8 GHz Kryo 585)
- GPU: Adreno 650
- RAM: 8GB, 12GB
- Built-in Storage Capacity: 128GB, 256GB, 512GB
- Card Slot: No
Rear and Front Camera Rating
- Rear Camera Sensor: 12+64+12MP (Note 20), 108+12+12MP (Note 20 Ultra)
- Selfie Camera Sensor: 10MP
- Camera Features: Dual Pixel PDAF, OIS, auto-HDR, auto-focus, Phase detection, panorama, gyro-EIS
- Video Recording: panorama LED flash, auto-HDR, panorama
- Vide0: [email protected], [email protected]/60fps, [email protected]/60/240fps, [email protected]
Wireless Network Bands and Connectivity Options
- Technology: GSM / HSPA / LTE / 5G
- 5G Network Bands: SA/NSA/Sub6/mmWave
- 4G Network Bands: LTE
- 3G Network Bands: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- 2G Network Bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2 (dual-SIM model only)
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A (7CA) Cat20 2000/200 Mbps
- SIM Type: Single SIM (Nano-SIM and/or eSIM) or Hybrid Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- Bluetooth: 5.0, A2DP, LE, aptX
- USB: 3.2, Type-C 1.0 reversible connector, USB On-The-Go
- Wi-Fi: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/6, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- FM Radio: Yes (Snapdragon only)
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO
- NFC: Yes
Sound Quality and Multimedia Support
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- Speaker Location: Bottom
- Sound Enhancement Features: AKG
- Audio Jack Type: No
- Video Support Formats: H.264 (Baseline / Main / High profile), MPEG4 (Simple profile / ASP) and other video formats
- Audio Support formats: PCM, AAC / AAC + / eAAC +, MP3, AMR – NB and WB, APE, WAV
- Battery Capacity: Non-removable Li-Po 4,300 mAh (Note 20), 4,500 mAh (Note 20 Ultra)
- Wireless Charging: 15W
- Fast Charging: 25W
- Fingerprint Sensor (under display), Face ID, Proximity Sensor, Ambient Light Sensor, Accelerometer, Gyroscope, Electronic Compass
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Price
The 4G model of the Samsung Galaxy Note 20 costs €950/£850 while the 5G model retails for $1,000/€1,023/£950. As for the Note 20 Ultra, its 12/256GB base model goes for $1,300/€1,266/£1,180. Get $150 instant credit to create your own Galaxy ecosystem when you pre-order the Galaxy Note 20 series from the Samsung’s website on or before August 21.
In Nigeria, Samsung Galaxy Note 20 will cost between N369,000-N479,000 depending on the variants and location.